San Francisco State University Admissions
College Counseling Note for San Francisco State University Admissions
As the state of the budget in California continues to be in flux, California State Universities are having to make adjustments in an effort to find solutions to the great need of higher education in California. One school in particular making some changes is San Francisco State University, or SFSU as many students refer to it as.
In an effort to keep students and parents up to date with changes to the admissions process and students being admitted, CollegeToCareers.com is bringing you current and important information for students that a counselor should be advising community college students on.
Some of the changes or admissions updates to SFSU include:
- SPRING 2011 Admits: San Francisco intends to offer Spring 2011 admissions, but we will not have a definite answer until the end of June. Check back with us as we will keep you current with the college admissions updates.
- No undeclared majors. There will be no students admitted to SFSU without a declared major. They want students to focus in an area so they can start taking courses applicable to a degree to reduce the time needed to complete a bachelor’s degree.
- No double majors. Students can petition to double major if they have a good focused plan. If a community college student intends to double major they should petition early upon their transfer to SFSU.
- Early/ On time graduation. SFSU is urging students who have between 145 – 155 units to graduate. The minimum units needed to graduate is 120 semester units. This unit requirement is still above the minimum needed.
- College minors are allowed. Minors allowed only if students can complete the required courses within the a range of 145 – 155 units.
- Advisory for transfer students. College students are strongly advised to work with their major and General Education (GE) advisors as soon as they get on campus.
- College deadlines. Students need to pay attention to deadlines this year.
- SFSU Psychology major. The department received over 1500 applications; they plan on offering admissions to only 150 students.
- Statement of Intent to Register (SIR). The SIR’s should have been turned in between the dates of April 1st – May 1st . Students are encouraged to attend an early orientation date. The cost of the registration program is $35.00 for SFSU newly admitted students. Registration at SFSU occurs on a two-tier system, whereas students are initially allowed to register for two classes to assure they get at least two classes they need for their major. Students who attend orientation have the incentive of being able to register for two classes at the end of the orientation, a real advantage!
- Complete all GE’s. Whenever possible, students should complete all of their General Education classes at a community college, so as not to have to compete with Freshmen for GE classes.
College Help: “Stay up to date with the changes in admissions processes to ensure a smooth transition to a four-year college!”
Tags: California Community College, california state university, college, college admissions, college application, college counseling, community college, community college transfer, csu, San Francisco State University, SFSU, transfer students, transferring, university