Ask The Right Questions At A College Fair
College fairs are in full force this time of year. Many students have never been to a college fair and are uncertain of what to ask college representatives. Students are wondering if their parents should go to the college fair with them. The individual situations will vary, but one thing all students have in common is that they want to know what to ask at the college fair. I wrote an article on finding a college through a college fair, but with all the emails we received about what to ask, we are providing you sample questions of what to ask a college representative at a college fair.
Some general tips to consider: Do your research ahead of time and look at the school websites of those that you are interested in. Even go on a college visit and find out demographics, number of students, location. Write down your questions before the actual event so that you remember what you want to ask. It get a little intimidating if you go to a college fair unprepared.
Questions for a College Fair
A good way to start is by introducing yourself, your field of interest and where you currently are. Then follow up with “I’m considering attending ______________ (name of school), what sets your college apart from others?”
That is a great opener to start out with. Also, consider the following questions:
- What type of student organizations and clubs are there for students?
- When are the enrollment deadlines and do you require a certain SAT score?
- Can I get a list of majors to take with me?
- Will you be reviewing admission applications, if so what do you look for?
- Can the enrollment fees be waived?
- What does your school consider for admissions? (i.e. activities, grades, sat scores, experience, interests, etc.)
- Can you tell me about the safety history of the college and possible the community it is in?
- What percentage of your students go on to graduate school?
- What is the placement rate for those seeking employment?
- What accommodations do you offer for students with physical disabilities or learning differences?
- What are the retention rates of incoming students at your school?
- Is tutoring available for all students, if so, is it free?
- What is the biggest student complaint you hear currently?
- What is your typical class size look like?
- Can I have a business card with your direct phone number? (in case you have further questions)
- What is the parking situation like?
- Do you offer student housing, if so, for how long?
- What kind of financial aid does your school offer?
- What is the cost of going to school there annually? (i.e. tuition, room and board, etc.) be met?
- Does your school allow double majors or a change of major?
- Is the campus wireless?
- Can I work on campus?
- Does your school offer scholarships or grants for incoming students? How can I be considered?
- What percentage of students return for their second year?
These questions should get you going in the right direction at a college fair. If you have any questions about what to ask, feel free to comment or leave us a message on our contact page.
College Fair Success: “Do your research, write down your questions prior, meet the colleges of interest and enjoy yourself!”
Tags: college fair, college fair with parents, college fairs, high school college fair, parents college fair, questions college fair, questions for college fair, questions to ask at college fairs, students college fair