Beneficial Community College Resources to Take Advantage Of
TRiO Program Student Support Services
TRiO Student Support Services is a federally funded program that aims to help first generation, low income, and/or minority students overcome any barriers they may face in order to access higher education.
- Access to a personal counselor
- One-on-one academic, career, and transfer advising
- Priority registration
- Personalized tutoring services
- Financial aid advising and workshops
- Opportunity to receive extra financial assistance
- Study skills training
- College Visits to 4 year Campuses
- Transfer application assistance
- Cultural enrichment activities (i.e. concerts and performances)
Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS)
EOPS is a government funded support program. This special services program provides academic and financial assistance to
low-income and/or first generation students. Ask your counselor how you can become an EOPS student at your community college if you meet the criteria.
- Benefits of EOPS:
- One-on-one academic, career, and personal counseling:
- Educational planning and academic progress monitoring: Most EOPS programs require their students to meet with a counselor and step up a student educational plan (SEP). Your personal counselor will help you outline which classes you need to take each semester in order for you to reach your educational goals on time. You will be asked to meet with your counselor periodically to discuss your mid-term grades. Students that do not know what their current course grades will be allowed the opportunity to get a comprehensive view of how they are doing. Students who are struggling in their classes will also be able to receive advice from their counselor as to whether they should drop, take a W, or how they can improve.
- Priority Registration
- Special College Presentations
- College Visits to 4 year Campuses
- Financial Aid Advising and Workshops
- Transfer Application Fee Waivers
- Transfer Workshops
Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Honor Society
- Scholarship opportunities
- Pin and certificate sent to all inductees acknowledging membership
- Official PTK stamp will be on your transcript
- Opportunities to attend leadership and skill-building conferences
- Volunteer opportunities
Honors Transfer Program
Although each Honors transfer program may vary, the Honors Transfer Programs at all community colleges are usually designed to prepare motivated students transfer to and succeed at a four year institution.
- Access to a designated honors counselor
- Enables you to take intellectually stimulating honors classes
- Strengthens your transfer resume: Be sure to check and see if your college has a a Transfer Alliance Program (TAP) with UCLA if you are interested in transferring there.
Mathematics Engineering Science Achievement (MESA) Program
MESA is an academic support program directed towards students who are interested in math and science related fields. The goal of the MESA program is to facilitate transfer of math and science majors to four year universities.
- Math and science tutoring
- Career development activities
- Develop close relationships with Math and Science faculty
- Make friends who have similar interests
- Free laptop (only available at some schools)
Tags: benefits, community college, community college transfer, Educational opportunity program and services, epos, helpful resources, honors transfer program, htp, mathematics engineering science achievement, mesa, phi theta kappa, priority registration, ptk, SEP, student educational plan, trio support services